How is ozone made?
Ozone is produced naturally through sparks and UV-Light, ozone is also produced commercially for many uses. This will outline a few methods ozone is produced.
These same methods of ozone generations can be used commercially for industrial ozone applications. Great advancements have been made in the ozone industry to produce ozone more reliably and efficiently.
Ozone Production from Corona Discharge
Ozone Production from UV Light
Ozone can also be produced directly in water using an electrolytic cell. This method uses a current within the water to split the oxygen and hydrogen atoms, then converts the oxygen directly into ozone. This is a fairly new commercial ozone generation method that may show great promise in the future. At this time, this application has very limited application.
Commercial Ozone Generation
- Corona Discharge (electrical discharge field)
- High voltage spark at medium to high frequencies
- Creates ozone at medium – high concentrations (up to 22%)
- Most commonly used
- UV Ozone Generation (photochemical)
- Low concentration ( max 2% concentration)
- Small ozone outputs
- Currently only small outputs
- Ultra pure water is necessary
The most common method of ozone generation is corona discharge. Due to the low operation costs, and improved reliability this will be the main method of ozone generation for many years to come,
Original Article: How is ozone made?